Miley Ray Cyrus (real name Destiny Hope Cyrus) is an American actress and pop singer. She was born on November 23, 1992 to mother Leticia “Tish” (née Finley) and father/country singer Billy Ray Cyrus. They named her Destiny Hope because they believed that she would achieve great things. They also nicknamed her “Smiley” (later abbreviated to “Miley”) because she used to smile so much. Cyrus suffers from tachycardia; although it is not dangerous, is it usually annoying.
Cyrus was raised on a farm in Franklin, Tennessee, about an hour away from Nashville, and studied at Heritage Elementary School. She was brought up Christian and was baptized in a Southern Baptist church before to moving to Hollywood in 2005. She went to church frequently while growing up and wore a purity ring. Cyrus did not sincerely think of acting until the age of eight. Several of her siblings also eventually entered the entertainment business.
Miley acquired international fame for her character as Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel sitcom Hannah Montana. Miley recorded music for the soundtracks, Hannah Montana (2006) and Hannah Montana 2/Meet Miley Cyrus (2007), released by Walt Disney Records. With the success of Hannah Montana, she became a teen idol. In 2007, Cyrus signed with Hollywood Records and went on the Best of Both Worlds Tour the same year, where she also performed as Hannah Montana. The tour became a high-grossing concert film entitled Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert (2008). In July 2008, Cyrus released her first solo album, Breakout (2008), which was a success.
She ventured into movies by voicing the character of “Penny” in the animated film Bolt (2008) and was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song for her performance of Bolt‘s theme song, “I Thought I Lost You”. She also relived her role as Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana in Hannah Montana: The Movie (2009). The Hannah Montana: The Movie‘ soundtrack introduced her to new audiences in country and adult markets.
Miley began developing an adult image in 2009 with the release of The Time of Our Lives (2009), demonstrating a more conventional pop sound, and by filming The Last Song (2010), a coming-of-age drama film. A studio album, Can’t Be Tamed, was released in 2010 and portrays a new dance-pop sound. The music video and lyrics of “Can’t Be Tamed” portray a more sexual image for the Miley. Cyrus ranked number thirteen on Forbes‘ 2010 Celebrity 100.
Trivia about Miley:
- At the end of 2009, Billboard magazine ranked Cyrus the fourth best-selling female artist and the fifth best-selling singer overall. Forbes ranked her #29 on the Celebrity 100 and reported she had earned a total of $25 million.
- On October 8, 2009, Cyrus deleted her account on Twitter, citing a desire for more privacy. She also told Parade magazine, “I deleted my Twitter account because I said on there that I believed in gay marriage because everyone should have the right to love each other, and I got such hate mail about my being a bad person.”
- In December 2007, a brief controversy emerged when photos Cyrus had posted on her private MySpace account, depicting her and a female friend sharing a piece of licorice, were spread across the internet. “For me, I was like, That’s two girls—it’s not a big deal…”
- On April 25, 2008, the televised entertainment program Entertainment Tonight reported that Cyrus, then 15, had posed topless for a photoshoot taken by photographer Annie Leibovitz for Vanity Fair. Cyrus was wrapped in a bedsheet and was actually not topless. Some parents expressed outrage at the nature of the photograph.
The Los Angeles Times, Francois Navarre, the proprietor of the X17 photo agency, said Cyrus’s market value had picked up considerably after the Vanity Fair photo controversy.
- Cyrus’s performance of “Party in the U.S.A.” at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards incited a media uproar, with some viewers criticizing Cyrus’s provocative outfit and inclusion of a brief pole dance as inappropriate for her age, then sixteen, and for her young fans.
- · Later in 2010, TMZ released a video of Cyrus, then 16, giving Adam Shankman, producer of The Last Song, a lap dance at the film’s wrap party. Cyrus’s father defended her actions, saying Miley was just “having fun” and that “it’s what people her age do”.
- In December 2010, TMZ released a video of Cyrus, which took place five days after her 18th birthday at her Los Angeles home, in which she is seen smoking from a bong. Cyrus’s father expressed his sadness regarding the matter on Twitter, saying, “Sorry guys. I had no idea. Just saw this stuff for the first time myself. Im so sad. There is much beyond my control right now”.